The Importance of Hotel Lifestyle Photography
Your hotel business should stand out from the competition. Ideally, you would like to become the destination hotel for visitors in your city or town. In order to attract your target audience, your photography plays a crucial and undeniable role. Nowadays, people pay more attention to visuals than anything else. It is for this reason that we have created The Ultimate Guide to Hotel Lifestyle Photoshoots so you can prepare accordingly and, most importantly, create high-quality photos!
Inspiring hotel lifestyle photography lets you jump into that huge bed, get a taste of the latest special restaurant dish, have a relaxing day at the spa, or even jump into the crystal clear water of the pool! This type of high-quality image might require a significant investment, but it is certain to positively impact your brand perception, market share, and ultimately your business rates and revenue.
According to Hospitality Net, after price, photography is the most important factor for travelers and prospects scanning OTA sites. In the decision to reserve a room with a particular hotel, 60% of the consideration is attributed to the hotel’s photography.
Photos are a powerful tool for marketing and can make an important first impression. Your hotel’s website should include an array of images to evoke emotions and appeal to potential guests. If you want to add that extra sparkle to your hotel photos, here are some tips.
The Ultimate Guide to Hotel Lifestyle Photoshoots
1. Preparation of a shot list
Preparation is the key to achieving high-quality visuals and a smooth production process. It will be easier for the photographer to understand your requirements and wishes if you provide a shot list. It also enables you to plan the shooting process and inform everybody about the requirements.
In the shortlist, you note what you need, such as product and lifestyle photography, wide or detailed shots, day or night photography, how many images you need, etc. You should discuss this list with your photographer before the shoot, as different scenarios might occur.
The strategy will specify where and when each shoot happens. This plan should be shared with all staff involved so the different areas are ready on time, with the right props, staff, and models, and to anticipate any logistical issues.
In our case, we provide our clients with the shot list and call sheet, and after they review it, we make changes based on the feedback. The preparation before such types of photoshoots is crucial since we must confirm that we are on the same page as the client.
2. Preparation of a call sheet
All spaces and rooms used for the photoshoot should be clean, tidy, and reflect your brand identity. When preparing for the shoot, consider these tips:
- Make certain that a representative of the hotel is present during the photoshoot to facilitate communication with the photographer and to make decisions on the spot. A brand manager can do this or someone who works on behalf of the hotel can.
- Check all areas for maintenance issues ahead of time so they’re fixed on time.
- Props should be selected in advance and ready for use in good time.
- Take out unnecessary items such as outdated newspapers, technology, excessive décor, and all other items that do not add value to your images.
- Make sure all areas and products are clean, wrinkle-free, and spotless. Pay particular attention to the table, the surfaces, the floor, the curtains, the pillows, the linen, silverware, and glassware.
- Try shooting both day and night to get a different vibe! Photographs taken during the day showcase your scenery, whereas pictures taken at night create a more sophisticated, cozy atmosphere.
- As an example, for exterior shots taken at night, the hotel’s exterior (and interior as applicable) lighting should be in perfect working order.
- Promote your destination and location by including your surroundings.
- Make sure the chefs have enough time to prepare and plate the food well in advance and pick fresh ingredients with a variety of textures.
3. Use professional models for hotel lifestyle photos
Hotel marketers often make the mistake of using employees as models for lifestyle shots. Although authenticity is important, it is not always effective. We always recommended working with professional models. They are experts at knowing how to move, how to swim, and how to create those moments that will sell your venue to guests. The best models, even children, are able to move with the camera comfortably. Even though this incurs additional costs, it is unquestionably worthwhile!
Along with reflecting the main demographics of the hotel, it’s also important to show a range of ages and ethnicities. Models should look credible, not too clichéd, so guests can relate to the experience and topics. To go ahead with the shoot, you’ll need all the model releases signed, as well as the right to use the photos.
Whether or not a hotel decides to hire models is the defining difference between a low-budget shoot and an investment. If you choose to use models, you will need to hire makeup artists, hairstylists, wardrobe specialists, etc.
As a resource for our clients, we provide a booklet with a variety of makeup artists and hairstylists, models, and rates, ranging from beginner models to professional models who work at agencies but are not exclusively with them. It is also possible to hire agency models, though their rates will be higher. Our photoshoot production team is also responsible for choosing different styles and attire that the models can wear during the photoshoot at different locations.
3. Place models in real-life situations at your hotel
With real-life situations at your hotel, you are able to capture moments as naturally and candidly as possible. This type of photography highlights the experiences of guests and tells the story of their stay at the hotel. This way, you make an emotional connection with guests!
Creating engaging lifestyle content means showing models checking in, relaxing at the spa, eating breakfast in bed, taking a bath, or exploring the city. Consider including pictures of the facilities that guests will have access to in order to attract attention and encourage bookings. They may include the following:
- The swimming pool
- Span and wellness center
- Kitchen facilities
- Game room
- Fitness center
If your hotel offers additional amenities such as meeting rooms and banquet halls, adding photographs will help you to stand out from the competition.
4. Show different perspectives on the photos
It is important that you take photos of your hotel from a variety of angles in order to portray the hotel in the best possible light. For example, you might include the following unique features:
- Areas for sitting
- Feature amenities such as tea, coffee, a minibar, desks, stationery, etc.
- Views from the room
- Patio or balcony
- Details of the interior
5. Prepare your hotel and rooms for the shoot
Good room presentation is the key to good photography. While you need to take realistic pictures, you must also prepare and tidy the room before starting your shoot. To ensure that your pictures evoke positive feelings, you should keep the following aspects in mind.
- Leave the curtains open to let in the light.
- Lighting should be adequate in the rooms.
- The surfaces should be kept clean.
- Cables and wires should not be visible.
- Making the beds fresh enhances the overall appearance.
In recent years, promoting a brand or hotel with images has become more important. Listed above are just a few points you should take into consideration when preparing for your hotel’s new visuals.
In this post, you’ve been watching lifestyle hotel photos we made for the Pestana Amsterdam Riverside. Their goal was to stand out from their competition. For their future customers to gain a better understanding of what they offer, they wanted to offer high-quality photography and video.
Hopefully, you found The Ultimate Guide to Hotel Lifestyle Photoshoots helpful and it answered some of your questions. I’d love to hear your thoughts!
There is a wide range of tailor-made and high-quality Lifestyle Hotel Photography & video packages available to suit your specific requirements. Interested in working with us? Do not hesitate to contact us, we’ll send you a quote within a few hours!