Experience a portrait photoshoot in the botanical gardens of the Hortus Botanicus in Amsterdam. For solo travelers, couples, and families!
I was recently contacted by Jung Youna, a Korean influencer, to book an indoor photoshoot in botanical gardens in Amsterdam. She wanted some portraits and memories for her Instagram, and I suggested the Hortus Botanicus. It was my first time going there, but I saw other photographers’ pics and loved it! Being a local, I can say that this is a nice alternative to the usual touristy things to do, and it also suits nature lovers.
It’s a stunning experience to explore The Hortus Botanicus in the middle of Amsterdam. It’s one of the oldest (1638) and most beautiful botanical gardens in the world. Located between a canal and some houses, this little spot has glasshouses, little paths, and a restaurant.
“Located in a small oasis of history and tranquility, the sanctuary is a place of peace and tranquility, despite the crazy bicycle traffic”.
The reasons for establishing a specialized medical garden were very serious: at that time the cities of An important reason for setting up a specialized medical garden was the plague epidemic (1634-1637) that affected Leiden and Utrecht at the time. Moreover, several monasteries left the rapidly growing city and there was insufficient space to plant herbs in Amsterdam.
1. Why should you visit the Hortus Botanicus in Amsterdam?
Approximately 8000 varieties of plants are present in the garden area, which is behind 300-year-old gates. There are over 4000 varieties of plants in the greenhouses. Hortus isn’t just a great place to explore history and nature; it’s also a great place to relax and take pictures.
2. What’s the best time to visit?
If you go in the morning, as we did for this photoshoot, it will be quieter and not crowded than if you go in the afternoon. This is the best plan for a rainy day! The Hortus Botanicus is a small, interesting, and peaceful botanical garden with subtropical and three climate greenhouses, a butterfly house, and quiet paths.
3. Where else is nearby that’s cool?
The Hortus Botanicus is 20 minutes from the center, so after that, I recommend checking out the Plantage area. In the Old Jewish Quarter, you’ll find the Portuguese Synagogue, the Resistance Museum, and The Hortus Botanicus.
You can also go to the Artis the zoo just 7 minutes away – it’s more than a zoo. The Netherlands’ oldest zoo has a rich history, and it’s in a beautiful park with old monuments, buildings, and odd gardens.
The Netherlands is known for its windmills and…beer! Located next to the windmill ‘De Gooyer’, I highly recommend Brouwerij ‘t IJ. Currently, this small brewery produces four seasonal beers and five standard beers. These beers are all certified organic. The brewery’s pub offers tours and tastings and is open daily from 15:00 to 20:00 and has a large outdoor terrace. This is a must-see in the Plantage area, do not miss it.
4. What you can’t miss at this botanical park!
- Have fun in the bamboo forest
- Climb up to the glasshouses and wander around
- It’s worth going to the butterfly house – don’t miss the chrysalis frame! It is spectacular to see butterflies land on you!
- Have cake at the cafe.
- You can buy your favorite plant at this gift shop!
5. Get the most out of your photoshoot at Hortus Botanicus!
Here are some things we did for the Hortus Botanicus Influencer Photoshoot in Amsterdam that may prove useful!
- Contact me as soon as possible to confirm availability, and then remember to book tickets on time!
- Based on the package you book, you’ll get more or fewer outfits. I always suggest 2-3 different outfits so your photos are more interesting!
- Make sure your hair and makeup are perfect! Besides that, I have a booklet of the best make-up and hair stylists in the Netherlands that I work with for shoots. Let me know if you need it, I’ll get it to you and contact your preferred artist.
- Make sure that you prepare everything the day before the photoshoot so that you don’t forget anything!
- Last but not least, be on time for your photoshoot so we can make the most of your time there.
Get your Portrait Photoshoot at Hortus Botanicus in Amsterdam booked today!
It has been a pleasure for me to work in Amsterdam for over 850 successful photoshoots in the past few years! The types of clients I have worked with include solo travelers, couples, families, groups of friends, and bachelorette parties. Are you interested in being the next one on the list? If you’re interested in planning a custom photoshoot in the Netherlands, feel free to get in touch with me!
For those of you curious having a Portrait Photoshoot at Hortus Botanicus in Amsterdam, take a look at the testimonials reviews to see what people have been saying about my photoshoots. Check out my portfolio, packages and rates, and get in touch with me to schedule your photoshoot.
Thank you for taking the time to read this post. I hope you find it interesting. Do not hesitate to share any comments you may have on this post.